We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Escallonia is a shrub that has very pretty flowers and is therefore very decorative.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Escallonia
Family : Escalloniaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 1 to 3 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary, well drained
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : Summer
Planting, maintenance and pruning play a large part in flowering and proper development of escallonia.
Choose from plant your escallonia in autumn to promote rooting before winter and better recovery in spring.
We can also plant in spring but making sure that the young shrub does not run out of water at the start.
- Prefer them sunny situations to promote the beautiful flowering of escallonia.
- Escallonia loves heat and will never be as good as it looks shelter from the wind.
- In hedges, keep a spacing of at least 80 cm.
- Follow our planting tips.
Pruning and caring for escallonia
Rapidly growing, escallonia often deserves refreshing once or twice a year if you want to keep it looking good.
Prune your escallonia regularly to densify its foliage and improve flowering.
To the end of winter to rebalance and late summer, after flowering to cut more frankly.
- The use of a shears is recommended and a branch trimmer for larger branches
- As a hedge, you can use a hedge trimmer to prune your escallonias.
- Find our sheet dedicated to the size of shrubs.
Fertilizer and watering in escallonia:
Escallonia is a shrub whose fertilizer and watering help promote shrub growth.
- Adding fertilizer in the spring improves flowering during the summer
- Watering during the first 2 years after planting is recommended to promote rooting.
- Theescallonia in pot needs water because the earth dries up faster.
Things to know about escallonia
Native to Chile and the Andes Cordillera, Escallonia offers a very beautiful bloom which varies from white to red through pink depending on the variety.
Its small clusters of flowers are the delight of bees all summer long.
You will also appreciate it for its beautiful glossy foliage which persists in winter.
Escallonia loves places hot and sheltered from the wind. It will give its full potential during the summer, especially if you give it a organic fertilizer in spring.
In beds or hedges, it adapts perfectly to both situations.
Popular varieties of escallonias
Escallonia offers different flowers and foliage depending on the variety, here are some of the many varieties that we particularly liked:
- Rubra macrantha : Its leaves are larger than the others and its flowers are a bright, bright pink.
- Apple blossom : It is not very bushy and its flowers are a pretty pale pink
- Iveyi : An escallonia which offers a beautiful bloom of white color
- Ingramii : Its foliage is aromatic and its pinkish red bloom.
- Laevis ‘Gold Brian’ : Its foliage is yellowish and its flowers are pink.
- Cardinalis : We appreciate its deep pink flowers with a red heart and its beautiful shiny green foliage.
Smart tip about escallonia
For planting, avoid periods of frost at all costs!
- Create a flowering hedge
- Summer flowering shrubs